Milwaukee County Parks Department

Milwaukee, WI
Historic Renovation
Preserving Historic Integrity

At a Glance

  • SUMMARY: Renovation of an office building on National Register of Historic Places
  • SIZE: 2 stories 29,000 sf
  • COMPLETION: 2000
  • CONSTRUCTION COST: $1.3 million
  • OWNER: Milwaukee County, Department of Parks
  • CERTIFICATION: National Register of Historic Places
Get in touch

Project Overview

The Milwaukee County Parks Department relocated their offices to a historic building on the County’s Wauwatosa campus. The goal was to renovate and preserve the 1898 building, while upgrading the building’s systems and complying with the ADA regulations. The scope included new interior finishes, repairs to all damaged walls and doors, new heating and cooling systems, electrical service upgrade, and historically compliant window replacement.

The two-story, 29,000-square-foot renovation required historic restoration of the grand wood staircase, the doors and wood moldings, ceiling details, and decorative capitals. In addition, a new stair exit tower was needed to meet the life safety exit code requirements of a modern office facility. Along with the development of the full set of design documents, Continuum processed the submittal to the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO). Since the County was not seeking any tax credits, the efforts were conducted to make sure this historic structure was preserved according to the guidelines of the Secretary of Interior’s Standards, a series of concepts for maintaining, repairing, and replacing historic materials as well as designing additions.

Get in touch

Similar Projects