Buildings Rise to Lead Neighborhood Redevelopment Effort
- SUMMARY: Total interior renovation of existing historical building for housing and new construction of mixed use building
- SIZE: 42,300 sf historic renovation; 35,000 sf new mixed use building
- COMPLETION: Est. 2017
- CONSTRUCTION COST: Est. $6.8 Million
- OWNER: Evergreen Real Estate Group and Legacy Midwest Renewal Corporation
- CERTIFICATION: National Register of Historic Places
This project comprises the development of new multi-family housing at the existing historical Blommer Ice Cream Company building and a new mixed-use building on the adjacent property.
Designed around a strict budget, universal housing requirements, supportive housing requirements, and historical design limitations, Continuum is able to deliver 64 mixed income units. The development incorporates a mix of one- to four-bedroom single-level apartments, and three- to four-bedroom two-story town homes.
Tenants have access to many amenities such as a community room, individual storage, off-street parking, large unit-wide windows, a spacious lobby, and in-unit washer/dryers.
One of the biggest challenges faced is the 4’ grade difference within the existing historical Blommer Building, making accessibility hard to achieve. Continuum is solving this by cutting a large mass out to use as a modern lobby, and modifying the elevator to stop at the lower level. As is Continuum’s style, the silver lining of this grade difference was discovered and is being capitalized upon: the 4′ difference allows for a mix of stunning and unique raised mezzanine units to be created.Get in touch