Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC), located across the street from Children’s Wisconsin, desired an expansion to increase its facility footprint. Continuum Architects + Planners evaluated the existing facility to identify a master plan approach for the whole campus. The design concept for our client’s vision was based on creating a warm, homelike, and healing modern addition. One that is inviting and fosters community building for families and thier children.
Each unit’s design allows adaptability and maneuverability to respond to the uniqueness of each family and their ill child. It was important that the units could accommodate wheelchairs and medical equipment when reuniting a family with their child.
The open space with the addition embraces the outdoors through the large outdoor decks that connect the indoor playroom to the outdoor tricycle paths exploring the large open area outside. Other amenities include:
- 14 guest rooms (625 sq ft.) are designed to meet the unique needs of guest families who stay 60 days or longer.
- A large, commercial kitchen fully equipped that allows for shared use and volunteers to prepare meals for up to 40 guests.
- Convenient access to a big backyard.
- A big, bright playroom designed for active play.
- A welcoming Community room to host a family movie night and other programming.
CLIENT: Ronald McDonald House of Charities
Business Journal, Real Estate Award, 2023
Daily Reporter, Top Project, 2023